Tuesday, December 11, 2012

The Next Big Thing; Week 28


A special thank you to Kmom, one of my very first pals from AQC and a warm person that kindly greeted me. Future generations may hold this against her, but she has my gratitude.



ABADDON ARMS

(for those under 30, Abaddon is a synonym for ‘Purgatory’. Arms is the same for ‘Hotel’. Purgatory Hotel was a dud title, hence the different wording)

2- Where did the idea come from for the book?

…From being on vacation and looking at a house. I know that sounds weird. While the wife and I were on our long delayed real honeymoon we had this place close by that we thought was a hotel. It turned out it was an over-the-top house for some very rich dude. But it had an ominous look, with its stucco walls, Spanish flair, ground level lighting and high walls. Next thing I knew, little bits of story were starting to filter and accumulate in my head. Personally, I think rum had something to do with it.

3- What genre does your book fall under?

THUNK!

The genre dartboard says Paranormal Thriller! My heart says horror. We’ll see which is right when I’m done and if I trigger some sleepless nights for my betas.

4- Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

Seeing as the main character is a chameleon by nature and vocation, I believe Sam Rockwell would be an interesting choice. His co-protagonist has to balance strength, vulnerability and brains. My pick right now would be Gabrielle Anwar or the wonderful Mila Kunis.

The antagonist has Julian McMahon springing to mind. Suave yet sleazy.


5- What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?

Leave it to a born loser like Jake Lane to find humanity at Abaddon Arms, the very last place on earth.


6- Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

I’d like to be psychic or arrogant and say ‘it will be represented by an agent’ but understand that decision isn’t entirely up to me. What is my call is that, one way or the other this book will be available to readers.

7- How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

I’ll let you know when it’s completed. For now, I predict three months.

8- What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

Within my genre is a little dicey, given the subject matter. I’ve read some pretty gory horrors that run along similar lines, but don’t feel this story applied to that model. I know there’s nothing new under the literary sun, but this comes pretty damn close.

I’ll let others be the judge of just how close.

9- Who or What inspired you to write this book?

They still haven’t gotten rid of this redundant question, I see. How many times do I have to say ‘I dug a cool, creepy big house’?

Okay, I’ll try to drill down a layer. I’m a horror fan but firmly believe that no walking mosquito (vampire), biped angry puppy (werewolf), overgrown lizard with halitosis (dragon), or any other fantasy tormentor can match the depravity or nobility of the human species. With that in mind, I wanted to generate a scene and mood to adequately represent the duality of man.

The setting is a perversion of purgatory, used by the antagonist as a placement service for those that would fit in with hell’s management structure. Bad people with depth fascinate me, and if one baddy is fun, a whole cast of them is better.

10- What else about your book might pique the reader's interest?

If you like the irony of the human animal, satire on corporations and ambitions, tenuous relationships created in extreme conditions and a cast of characters with precious few redeemable qualities, then have I got a story for you…

Tagged for next week are some of my very talented writer friends. Check out their blogs next Wednesday, December 19th, when it's their turn to post answers to these same questions about their own works-in-progress!

First up, a terrific YA Fantasy writer (who let me beta read) and creator of sci-fi. Let’s hear a round of applause for a great AQC bud, Lucid Dreamer!

http://vickilempweavil.com/
http://vickilempweavil.com/the-next-big-thing-week-29/

Not to be outdone, I'd like to also give a shout out to Mia, currently struggling with which project to share with us all. I'm sure it will be intriguing, no matter what she decides on.

http://miasiegert.blogspot.com/
http://miasiegert.blogspot.com/2012/12/the-next-big-thing.html


 

No comments:

Post a Comment